Friday 26 August 2011

What is it?..................

Back to the park tonight for a quick hunt, I found this strange object. It's non ferrous but seems to have had some sort of iron attachment at the top where the corrosion is. It's strangely familiar to me but I can't for the life of me work out what it is. Any ideas?
Also dug a nice 1934 sixpence amongst the  ring pulls and this very worn, young head Victoria 1/2 penny. The only detail you can see is Vicky's head, nothing on the other side but I think comparing it to other coins I have, she is somewhere between 1860- 1880.

5 comments:

  1. I think your whatzit might be a Blacksmiths gripping tool. ie: grip hot bar - hit - turn - hit - turn etc. Could also pick up a small hot crucible. Come to think of it I believe Glass Blowers use a similar tool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a musical instrument, a Jew's Harp. It had a steel tang which you twanged to make a sound. Played between the teeth, sorta like an elestic band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How big is it? I'm thinking a kind of quick release split ring. Stick into a hole to peg something together with a chain attached to the loop (caused the rust) which can be pulled for a quick release and to retain it? Just guessing but yes it does look familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is non ferrous then it probably wouldn't have the strength for a chain pull.
    What metal do you reckon it is Guy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ged (Peacehavens) is bang on, its a jews harp, made of brass, with the steel plectrum missing.

    ReplyDelete