Saturday 9 July 2011

Interesting coin spill



Dodged the rain this afternoon and went to check out a new location.............absolutlely skunked bar a solitary 1c piece! Never mind, you'll never know if you don't go.......... Anyway I headed back to one of my favorite haunts on the off chance I may have missed something, and lo and belold the wonderful council has been in the bush spraying the noxious wandering jew. This gave me more access to hunt an area I've had to go around before. First hit was a bouncy 45-70 on the F4, It just didn't make sense to me...... usually those numbers would be a beavertail ring pull or some rusted iron but I decided to dig anyway. First out of the hole was a 1c followed by a 2c, great I thought an old decimal coin spill...............next was a 10c/1shilling, ok so now I know why the bouncy numbers, copper nickel and copper..........makes sense. I thought that was it, waved the coil over the hole to make sure and got a 61.........WTF.........Dug a bit more and out pops a lovely 1937 shilling! Once more over the hole...........and a out comes another 1c. So do I have one old decimal coin spill over the silver shilling, or were they all together? I'm still trying to work that one out. Also dug 3 pennys and a couple of other old decimal coins.............Not to shabby for an hour or so under threatening weather conditions. Here are a couple of pics of the finds.

2 comments:

  1. Not shabby at all.
    Snap - I got a 1937 Silver shilling tonight too.
    Might post later.
    HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could have been a single coin spill. Currency went decimal in 1967 and they minted 10c coins with "one shilling" on them to get people used to the new currency. The youngest coin is only 6 years since the change over so that silver shilling could have still been in circulation as a 10c piece. If this makes sense...

    You did better the I did today from 5 hours worth of hunting.

    ReplyDelete