Sunday 17 July 2011

AWESOME, AWESOME FINDS TODAY!







After finding the old florin yesterday, I didn't really think I could top that today...........How wrong I was! We headed out of town armed with a picnic and willing to spent most of the day hunting an old park about 50 k's away. We had been there before and picked up quite a few pennys and a couple of silvers, so it was well worth another look. So we start off well, the first couple of hits were pennys, then plenty of old decimal brown buggars and copper nickel coins. A couple of goldies, a few more pennys and we were about ready to wrap it up after 3 hrs or so.....................Then, well the F4 screamed at me, the numbers were 99,100,98,100...bloody hell I thought a big bit of rusty iron. Dug it anyway.........I had one of those feelings you get.....you know the ones. LOL. Out pops this massive hallmarked pocket watch back. KaChing! All of a sudden I don't feel like heading home just yet. Couldn't find the rest of the watch but did turn up 3 nice silvers looking for it. OK, now its time to head off, I just wave the detector casually in front of me as we are walking back to the car and get a nice penny signal.................Yep, would be nice to go out on a good coin so I dig the nicest plug you have ever seen and there is green in the bottom of the hole. It's a penny, great! I'm about to throw it in the bag and close the plug when Carol says "I think there is more in there, I can see the outline of another coin on the penny". So I sweep over the hole again and again until I have 3 pennys and 3 silvers and the remains of a leather coin purse! Two of the silvers were Victorian, an 1874 shilling and a 1900 Shilling. One of the pennys was also Victorian 1901.
To say the least..........I was EXCITED!
Enjoy the pics

7 comments:

  1. That sure was a neat find... its amazing whats still hiding beneath the grass... I wonder who lost the purse .

    ReplyDelete
  2. we know it was lost sometime after 1913..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ho Silver.
    Do you think the purse was someones stash?
    It sure was your lucky day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet that person was cursing up a storm 100 years ago, would have been their spending money for the day or week. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way have you tried to track the identity of the pocket watch back? That hallmark should be online somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I checked the hallmark, it was made in Sheffield 1901 by a silversmith named Albert Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Correction.........A recheck shows its a bit earlier, in fact not Sheffield but Edinburgh and the date letter is for 1881-2.

    ReplyDelete