Tuesday 19 July 2011

Coincidence or skill?



Went for a quick after work hunt today, back to a park I thought I had hunted out ( the same park I found my first gold ring) and thought I would cherry pick low and slow. First hit was the Kiwi penny, then 3 "brown buggers" (5c,2c,1c) and then a whisper of a signal.............high, low tones, something I would have passed over in the earlier days as trash. Dug it and came up with a 1/2 of a penny..............right next door still a whisper of a signal............dug about 7 or 8 inches and pulled out the 1918 3d. Magic! When I got home I showed the finds to Carol................ she says "this is part of a Victorian penny I can see the head and crown and I think we may already have the other halve." We checked the collection and sure enough we have the other half of the coin, we dug it back in December 2010 from the same park. I keep records of all my finds so it was easy to verify. I never, never thought I would find the other half of the same coin! I have about 6 more part pennys...............I wonder if I'll ever match them up with their partners?

3 comments:

  1. I spose you cant remember where the other half was dug from.. must have been pretty close..

    ReplyDelete
  2. From memory it was certainly in the same general area under some large trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found a few two half items. No coins so far. I think the last one was a brass water pipe Tee joiner fitting. That must have made a real bang when it went through the mower blades. Matching two halves of a penny is still quite unique though.
    HH

    ReplyDelete