Sunday 8 January 2012

Oldest half penny

Hit a new spot for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon, it shows promise as this half penny proves. Its the oldest one I have dug to date. Between 1838-1860 Victorian half pennys were made from copper,  larger (28mm) and weighed 9.1g -9.5g . From 1861-1901 they were bronze , 25mm and weighed 5.5g-5.8g. The other significant difference is the older coins have the date underneath Vicky's head, where the later coins have the date under the Brittania.
This one even in its toasted condition weighs in at 9g and is still 28mm in diameter. I think I can just see the numbers 45 under the bust when using a magnifing glass so that would put it at 1845.



3 comments:

  1. Lol - Guy I think yours is more munted than the one I found :-)
    Is the hair in a bun with no crown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an oldie! And I agree any site that coins that age has a lot of potential. What are you doing home - you should be back there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris: Yes the hair is as you describe. I do have a quite nice condition 1/2 penny but a bit later at 1861. I'll post a comparison pic of the earlier vs the later so you can see the size difference.


    Grant: I would have been back out there today except it has been blowing a gale around 90kph and peeing down all day!

    ReplyDelete