Saturday 17 September 2011

New spot tryout.

The pickings at my main park are getting leaner and leaner, especially in the pre decimal and jewellery dept so I have been doing a bit of research for some new hunting grounds close to town. I tried one out this morning, its a heavily wooded reserve along the railway line just back from the foreshore. So far it looks quite promising, I got a '51,'58 & '64 florin coin spill (along with a '67 20c), a '47 1/2 crown, a '35 British 1/2 penny, 1919 Aus 1/2 penny and a '56 Kiwi 1/2 penny. Also a '52 Kiwi penny that looks like its been flattened by a train. I don't konw what the round lead thing is.....could be a token? Add to that a couple of old lipstick cases, the plated fork, some old decimals and another $8 in goldies and I think you can say there is more there. The fact the pre decimals were there gives me hope that there will be some silver..........the 1/2 crown was only 1 year off, 'Bugger'!

4 comments:

  1. All sorts of things get thrown off trains. You could be on a winner there. Keep a look out for complete NZR cups n saucers too. I think good ones are quite collectible.
    HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a promising new spot alright :) Nice finds so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the flat thing might be a penny put on the railway track..though it does look rather big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh.. it pays to read the entire blurb..."flattened by train"... That pen brought back memories, I used to sell them... what 26 years ago now..

    ReplyDelete