Saturday 10 September 2011

Back to the 'Honey Hole'






Got a break in the weather and the rugby this afternoon so we shot out to the 'honey hole' that we discovered last weekend ,for a couple of hours. I went over the same ground again, but this time swinging low and slow. We were rewarded with another 48 coins from the same patch of grass between the old pool and playground. Broke the silver record for a single hunt with 7 today, plus another 10 pennys, 4 1/2 pennys, 3 copper nickel florins, 2 copper nickel shillings and 20 or so 'brown buggas'. I thought I would also show just how little 'junk' we had to dig to get all this. Most of the older coins were quite deep, some 8" plus, and the copper pennys are quite badly coroded for some reason.

4 comments:

  1. Slow and low is the way to go, something I'm forcing myself to do. Nice bunch of silver, but I dont see any knucklebones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good going on the silvers! And only 4 pull tabs??? I want a honey hole like that :)

    Brett - I haven't found a knuckle bone for quite a while. Reckon they have all migrated to their spring breeding grounds where you are hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hunting! :) Different soil moisture/acidity conditions have different effects on the pennys i guess. Some of the ones i pulled last week, 6/7 inches down in concrete-like dry hard dirt under some big old pines, were a lot less coroded than i have found before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great hunting,an impressive collection of coins and collectables.Those old silvers are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete