Saturday 25 June 2011

Victoria Penny update

Queen Vicky  had 3 portraits on pennies during her reign, the "young" head (1838-59), the "bun" head (1860-94), and the "veilled" head, (1895-1901).
 So far I have dug 1 "young" head (1854), 6 "bun" heads (1861,'74,'77,'79,'86,'90) and 7 "veilled heads (1896 X2, '97, '99, 1901 X 3). Also dug a 1861 and 1862 half penny. The only Victorian silver coins so far are a 1891 sixpence and a 1901 threepence.

I would love to find an older British coin, but alas me thinks with the colonisation by the English in the 1840s, thats not likely. Even though the British have officially been here since 1832 and William the IV was at the throne during that time it would be too much to ask to find a cartwheel penny of that date. I can only dream!............. Next best thing would be a gold soverign.....surely someone, somewhere must have lost one, and its just waiting to be found by me.Yes I'm still dreaming.

 I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for a hunt, if the weather is as fine as they predict. I'll head out of town again and hunt further afield, found a couple of spots that look promising........ inspired by Madsonicboating's showground finds...........I'll let you know how it goes.
HH

5 comments:

  1. yes I dream about gold sovereigns too.. well actually I dreamt about finding lead soldiers that were actually horses which turned into gold.. I found seven but I knew there were more there.. but I woke up before I could find them..
    You sure have found alot of older coins.. they are few and far between up here in Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Taranaki was colonised fairly early in NZ history..perhaps thats why I find so many British coins. I think I have about 255 pennys so far, 155 are Kiwi, 87 British and the rest are Aussie. The interesting thing though is the only Aussie silver I found has been a '58 shilling, seeing as our coins were transferable both sides of the ditch, I thought I would have found more of them. perhaps you get them all up north?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm not the only one who dreams about finding stuff metal detecting........LOL nice to know I'm NOT the only crazy one here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just discovered your blog, don't know how I missed it!

    Anyway, don't give up on an old cartwheel or similar. I found a 1806 - 8 (date worn away) KGIII penny the other day so breaking into the 1700's is a possibility. Coins stayed in circulation for a long time in those days so I reckon a 18th century coin could have been lost in the early days of colonisation.

    With the number of older coins you are finding you have a good chance!

    Oh and yes a sovereign is also possible. Found one (dated 1958 - not old) in February here on Waiheke so people did loose them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind comments Grant, I'm still looking for those elusive coins!

    ReplyDelete