Sunday 29 May 2011

6 More silvers this weekend

This weekend my better half and I decided to take advantage of the reasonably fine weather and hunt further afield. We cruised to another town about a 1/2 hour away that I had a hunch might produce.......... I checked it out first on Google Earth and saw a couple of spots that I would be worth trying out. Well my hunch was right, on Saturday we arrived around 1.30pm and not 5 minutes later had the first hit.........a solid 63 on the F4. It was a silver 3d, I knew then this was a good spot. We hunted until around 4pm and ended up with 6 pennies, 2 1/2 pennies, a silver 3d and a silver shilling. Also dug a nice NZ airforce button and around 10 assorted 1c and 2c. The only modern coin of the day a solitary $1.
Today (Sunday) saw us head back to the same spot, this time I was keen to go over the same ground low and slow as they say, there is a fair bit of iron in the ground as well as lead headed nails close together so I was careful to  home in on the better signals. Again the first hit of the day was silver, another solid 63-64, interestingly enough the same numbers that $1 and $2 coins come up, this one was a shilling. I new then we were going to have another productive afternoon. We hunted for about 2 1/2 hours and ended up with 4 silvers for the day and another bunch of pennies, not to mention the heap of old decimal stuff I tossed into the jar. Here are the best finds of the weekend.

HH



Guy

2 comments:

  1. Thats the first Fiji sixpence I have seen..

    ReplyDelete
  2. and your ground must be very kind.. the pennys are in really good condition.

    ReplyDelete