Saturday 2 February 2013

Silver 1/2 Crown

After doing a bit of research during the week I identified a swimmimg hole on the banks of a river about 20 mins from home. Google earth showed some grassed areas and a nice sandy beach of reasonable size.We headed out this morning in hope of finding some jewellery and goodies on the beach, however on arrival we found plenty of people already there. Searched the bits of the beach we could get to, but nothing  except bottle caps. We decided to give one of the grassed areas a going over and the first signal was a penny, next signal a penny with a 3d stuck to it, and the 3rd signal the 1/2 crown. I thought we were onto something big but the next hour or so only produced another penny, a 47 florin the 2 toy cars and som bits of old swiming trunk belt buckles. The ground is pretty trashy with plenty of Tui tops and melted aluminium from bonfires past, but with a bit of patience I think there is more here to be had. Only went over about 1/3 of the grassed area as the grass was just too long in places. I'll go back again and get there early next time to do the beach where all the people were camped in one corner nearest the deeper swimming hole.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a choice spot you have found Guy.
    Do you think finding the large silver means your the first to hunt there? I would think so. Looking forward to the next report. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that until I comenced detecting here in Taranaki, virtually no one had detected here before.I have dug over 6000 coins from the region since Sept 2010 when I started.Virgin teritory it was..............until I cleaned it out! Thats why I have to go further and further from town to find a new spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your choice are pretty good. The silver & crown coins are valuable because of its extinction. I am also accumulating some old coin in my collection which are not available. That coin will be valuable after 10 years like treasures. Thanks to share with us.

    ---------Shaun C. Camacho
    My website

    ReplyDelete